Thursday 6 December 2012

I did it. I took the plunge and I, small town girl went to a fancy shmancy restaurant...




Amici isn’t your stereotypical spaghetti and meatballs type Italian eatery. Supporting local merchants by using their fresh meats, fish and produce, Amici is able to create new and exciting recipes while staying true to its Northern Italian, Tuscan roots.

The dining room has an elegant vibe with dark browns, and burnt orange-coloured walls.  It is uniquely set up in two tiers with tables and booths and seating for 80. I was sat in the lower tier along the windows at table 27. Classical Italian music played in the room, helping me feel relaxed and ready for an intimate dining experience.

I was promptly greeted by my server, and offered a glass of wine to start my night. My preference for wine is on the fruitier side, so he recommended the Alamos Chardonnay from Argentina for $8.25 per glass. He was bang on with his description as having “a fruity aroma, with hints of tropical fruit, pear and a buttery finish.”



The daily appetizer and entree specials were translated tableside from Italian to English. I had the Gamberi Sulla Risotto con Speck Tirolese; Tiger-Prawn Shrimp
wrapped in smoked Tyrolean bacon served on Parmesan risotto with a paprika and brandy cream sauce. I must say the results were pleasing. The Tiger-Prawn Shrimp had the perfect crunchy texture, while the bacon was seamlessly cooked. The buttery palate from the Chardonnay paired with the risotto, was an immaculate combination.

For dinner I chose one of the house specialties, the Carre d’Agnello Arrosto. Lamb lovers, listen up! If you don’t try this, you’re missing out on a flavor experience of a lifetime. This mouth-watering Provimi Rack of Lamb will run you $36.00 for the four bone and $48.00 for the six. The lamb chops are Dijon mustard crusted, cooked to your preference (I like the rarer side of rare), served with a red wine herb sauce and sautéed root vegetables. To go with it I was recommended a glass of the Australian Hickinbotham Shiraz-Cabernet that goes for $10.25. The combination had my tongue receptors moving, as the spice from the Shiraz, and the rich fruitiness of the Cabernet balanced well with the herb sauce, and the natural flavour of the Lamb.

Be sure not to fill yourself up with the succulent selections before you get to dessert. My first St. Honoré experience had me hooked. A puff pastry shell filled with


chocolate sponge cake, chocolate pastry cream, with strawberries and whipped cream tasted exactly how it sounds. One word. Delicious.

Reservations and formal attire is recommended if you’re planning a night out at Amici. Guests have worn jeans, but you should snaz it up a bit with a blouse or a blazer, or your waiter may show you up with his designer suit. Don’t let this intimidate you- yes it is a fancy place to dine, but you won’t have to study up on your mise en place table etiquette.  Rest assured, if you use the wrong fork, the servers would happily replace it for you, I know by experience.  

Fine dining isn’t something I do often, and at Amici I was pleasantly surprised. I felt I was in a classy environment without any stuffy pretentiousness.

Table 27, I’ll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment