Saturday 12 January 2013

The Accidental Friendship

Good friends are hard to come by, and are a dime a dozen. But how does one go about finding one? They could come by in school, work, social gatherings, or can be met through mutual friends.

Beauregard, my now "bestie 4 eva!" came to me through a simple mistake of sending a text message to a wrong number, and playing along with the stranger.

"Call me Beauregard," he says.

Beauregard? What an unusual name. For some reason I thought of the story of Moby Dick to fuel my response.

"Call me Ishmael," I replied.

You can only imagine that someone as quirky as to show any interest to respond to an accidental text message would elaborate.



Throughout the day we began sending odd messages about our passions, career goals, and any other goofy anecdotes we could come up with. We informally introduced ourselves to eachother, and I now know his name. Let's just say it's not far off from Beauregard which is still the contact saved in my phone.

This friendship is developing fast, too fast.

"Are you a physcho?" I had the nerve to ask.

"You realize I have the equal right to ask you the same question," he said.

Oh snap.

Now if someone were to respond to this question with a 'yes', more than likely, they're not. Now, if they responded with a 'no', flags would arise and further research would need to be done.

This is as far as my accidental friendship has gone, and am excited to see where this could go. It could go nowhere, or I really may have found a new "bestie 4 eva!"

I'm the kind of person who believes in 'the kindsness of strangers', and that 'a stranger is just a friend you haven't met'. Is this okay?

What are your opinions?






1 comment: